Landlords, Tenants and Rentals
I want to rent my property
What do I need to know about leases in Jamaica?
Here are a few things to consider.
What is in a Lease Agreement?
A well written lease will clearly outline the rights and obligations the landlord and tenant have in relation to the leased premises and in relation to each other. For example, a lease will describe what the tenant has rights to, the duration of the lease, the rate of rent and how the lease can be terminated. If there is no written lease or it is not well written, it can become difficult to resolve any issues that may arise.
What are the Responsibilities of a Landlord?
Landlords are generally required to:
- Ensure the property is in a livable state
- Complete structural repairs
- Issue due notice before visiting or entering property while property remains under tenant agreement
- Avoid nuisances like blocking entrances, exits, windows or changing the locks without notice
What are the Responsibilities of Tenants?
Tenants are generally required to:
- Avoid deliberate destruction of the property
- Use amenities conscientiously
- Avoid subletting without express permission from landlords
- Pay rent on or before the agreed due date
Our experienced team
can be the key to your
Whether you are the tenant or the landlord or looking to transition into either role, contact MFG.